Tuesday, October 1, 2019

White Racist Youtubers Are Given Platforms. Again. 🙄

By: Rafeeat Bishi

Image result for jeffree star shane dawson
  Mediocre White Fave Shane Dawson is yet again making a documentary about the "bereaved" Jeffree Star. Jeffree Star is known for having made numerous racist remarks and comments and having quarreled with Jackie Aina, calling her a gorilla. Shane has also done blackface, used the term "wetback" (a slur towards Mexicans) and ridiculed POC representation. Both are clowns problematic.  


   Despite this, Jeffree (Shane too) is still forgiven, given a platform, and told that his actions were in the past. However, I believe if you're a grown person you don't just "get over" racism. It is something that has clearly been trained, and as adults grow they become less impressionable. While I believe true change is only possible for young people, adults may change too. Albeit slightly. People can be regretful, but small parts of them will always harbor their original ideologies.

  If one does change, it is more about action. What has Jeffree Star done to show me that he cares about black women and is not racist? Nothing so far. So I'll continue to believe he still holds those sentiments. White people have the privilege to make mistake after mistake with no consequences. 

    Instead of shining a light on the actual, you know, black women who were the victims of this act, and give them a platform to hear THEM speak, Shane Dawson gives one to Jeffree Spider Star. Other students like Marvine wrote about these things in their blog posts.

Image result for as told by kenya    I won't be watching the documentary because I don't want to give Shane Dawson my views. I suggest watching it incognito or going on Twitter to see what others are saying. If we want to stop giving mediocre white racists platforms, we should try to protest their videos so their stuff is no longer profitable or popular. 


    Instead, I suggest you watch As Told By Kenya. She's a great YouTuber who speaks on important social justice issues. She's unapologetic and deserves a WAY bigger platform than those mentioned. Here's a link to her channel and some of my favorite videos. She inspired me to write this post :).


Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfdQZXHsR1L2g4jDrMmVMTw

Is Kevin Hart Homophobic? - https://youtu.be/llarDY1y-HsJeffree Star and Shane Dawson WE ARE TIRED https://youtu.be/e7cqmkcc8cY, TOXIC Youtubers - https://youtu.be/w89EIU2u1wY, "Kylie Jenner Has Another Black Slave (i mean friend)" - https://youtu.be/YCK5HgcU7NU
"James Charles Was A MESS At The Met Gala" - https://youtu.be/i7EBaVA3KmU

5 comments:

  1. I like how you crossed out "clown" and "spider". Good ones. But yeah I agree white YouTubers are given too much freedom, given the fact that they have done and said, NOT ONE, but multiple things that make them highly suspect and racists, homophobic, etc. Thanks for the YouTube recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an intriguing blog entry:) I astoundingly put stock in the principal contentions you made, where you referenced the reality about "ignoring" bigotry. What's more, how YouTubers who've managed bigot pasts don't approach them except if it begins to influence them. Be that as it may, Jeffree Star has apologized about these events. Also, by saying 'sorry', I don't mean phony crying and concocting a reason to shadow or act unmindful in endeavoring to clarify his activities. Jeffree has admitted to his bigot remarks. He's claimed up to his slip-ups, and something else would be him not freely reacting to the majority of the analysis or kickback he's been accepting, as NIkita Dragun. Additionally, you are yet to approach the way that Jeffree Star has been confronting remarks himself, since he also is a white gay man seeking after a profession in cosmetics. He's gotten homophobic remarks, negative reactions from celebrities, and dangerous death threats. His very own life isn't as simple the same number others may think. His development as an individual has been challenging for him as of now, and some don't see that. Jeffree has had an intense past. He's experienced depression, anxiety, and loss. I realize it is as yet not a reason to have remarked such rough comments. In any case, given that he also has had an awful past in living in a society experiencing change, for him to in any case take care of business and claim up to his missteps says a great deal regarding him and his character. Since, I realize this isn't just focused on Jeffree Star, however to other YouTubers as well, it's great to remember this before reaching the decision that he is a "clown".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late response and I get where you're coming from, but my catalyst for this post is that frankly Jeffree Star's personal development is not my concern. I understand that as a gay person he faces his own discrimination, but I don't think any person affected by his comments should look past it. I'm more so worried about those he offended then his own personal struggles. They're completely valid, but people will always be there to defend him because he's a white cis male. People are almost never there for black women.

      Delete
  3. I agree completely. It was hard for me to stop watching Shane at first because I've watched his videos for a really long time since 6th grade, but now that I understand the unhealthy stereotypes and ideas that he perpetuates, I can acknowledge that while he is not an inherently bad person, he continues to promote unhealthy concepts and toxic people. I also believe that he gets away with these things because he is a white man, and I honestly don't understand why people are still trying to justify Jeffree Star's actions. It's a shame that Shane has wasted his success on encouraging bigotry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this blog. It shows that many people are enabling the rude comments and actions of white youtubers. I think that no matter what they say, people are going to support them. Its horrible to say, but people are just going to push it aside then keep going on with their lives. Especially if a subscriber/viewer knows that the comment doesn´t pertain to them, they´re going to defend them and not stop watching. But I feel like people should stop watching their videos, so they know that their rude comments did/do affect people.

    ReplyDelete