Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Black Women Dominate the Billboard Charts

By: Rafeeat Bishi

Some good news considering the climate. The Billboard Hot 100 chart was revealed yesterday and at the top of the charts sat Nicki Minaj, Doja Cat, Meg Thee Stallion, and Beyonce, for their remixes to respective hits Say So and Savage. 

Doja Cat, Nicki Minaj, Beyoncé & Megan Thee Stallion have made US ...It was Nicki Minaj's first number 1 (long overdue -_-), the highest-charting for Megan, Doja's first number 1, and Beyonce's 19th (I believe).

Not only is it a historic day for the artists, but it's also the first time collaboration between women has been number 1! 

The Billboard charts also include many Black and other POC artists, which I think highlights the impact that we have greatly on American music and culture. These songs take over TikTok, Twitter, and memes all over. I just wish the same respect was given to the women who make the art. 

If you're in need of a WOC to stream, I'd recommend Rina Sawayama, a Japanese singer. Her music is fun!

Congrats to everyone!

3 comments:

  1. YAY! Also, Nicki seriously only had her first #1 hit just now? That doesn't sound real - there's no way everyone was bopping to Nicki for this long and she hadn't hit #1 yet. Anyways, YOU'RE WELCOME for the Rina suggestion - and @Denyce you're welcome too. I'm happy that she's getting more recognition, and I think you and I had another psychic moment because I was JUST thinking about how one of Rina's albums got recognized by this billboard thingy (I don't keep up sorry) as well. That's crazy. Same wavelength. Nice post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on instagram and I remember thinking, this is such an accomplishment why is it not being shown everywhere. Not to take a negative turn but I notice that whenever women are on top, they are not praised as much as when men are. Why is this? Are women not the most powerful gender? This is sad because women are always looked at as being weak when in reality we are stronger than men could ever be. We are capable of accomplishing anything a man can. I was actually really happy to see that we were on top and it wasn’t just four women, it was four, strong, beautiful, powerful, black women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at them making history !!! Even though it took a very long time, it's still wonderful that these four women made the TOP of the charts.

    ReplyDelete